Vision is your global objective—the first step in establishing direction. But there’s more clarifying work to do. A second critical step in the vision process is the creation of ministry values. Values further define what you’ll do and what you won’t do. They are more specific defining objectives that guide your church’s ministry work, strategies, action plans and budget.
There are no right or wrong ways to create church values. Churches will use different language and address different elements with their values. The important point is that values define the church’s direction more specifically than a one-sentence vision statement can. Values are vitally important because they focus church vision and keep staff and volunteers on the same page.
A Set of Priorities
Church values are a set of priorities that govern your ministry. Everything that you do—every event, program or initiative—will somehow address these priorities. Values can address all kinds of style, method and strategy points, such as:
- Worship Style
- Evangelism Process
- Missions Strategy
- Discipleship Process
- Small Groups Plan
- New Member Assimilation
- Leader Development
- New Ministry Development
- Church Mindset and Culture
- Church Theology
- Other Key Priorities
Sample Ministry Values
Consider these sample values that bring focus to church vision:
- Climate of Acceptance – We offer friendliness and unconditional love at our church. This is a safe place to check out the claims of Christ.
- Reaching People through Relationships – The best way to meet peoples’ needs and lead them to Christ is through one-on-one relationships.
- Faithful to the Bible – We use the Bible and the teachings found in it as our guide for life, ministry and spiritual growth.
- Full Devotion to Christ – Full devotion to Christ is normal for Christians.
- Teaching through Small Groups – Small groups are the best context for spiritual growth and life change in individuals. We offer you the opportunity to study the Bible and develop friendships in a caring group.
- Ministry Gifts – The Bible teaches that God has uniquely shaped each member with spiritual gifts to minister to the needs of others. Understanding and using your spiritual gifts is the basis for developing the church’s ministries.
- Driven by Purpose – Our church organizes its ministries around well-defined purposes of worship, ministry, evangelism, fellowship and discipleship.
- Innovative Ministry – We place high value on creativity and work hard to be on the cutting edge of God’s work in our area. And we continually look for new ways to declare God’s truth around the world.
- Worship – We offer a style of music and worship that is culturally relevant, combined with practical teaching and helpful applications from God’s Word.
- Church Planting – There is no better method of growth and evangelism than starting new churches. We are a church that starts other churches.
- Excellence Honors God – We believe that God deserves our best effort.
Here’s another simple iteration of church values:
- Prayer – Prayer is our foundation.
- Worship – Worshiping together is important to us.
- Missions & Evangelism – We actively share our faith with neighbors and nations.
- Discipleship – We grow spiritually in small groups.
- NextGen – Faith at home matters for the next generation.
Find other ministry expressions of core values below:
- Austin Ridge Bible Church – Austin, Texas
- Denton Bible Church – Denton, Texas
- Elevation Church – Matthews, North Carolina
- Thomas Road Baptist Church – Lynchburg, Virginia
- Willow Creek Church – South Barrington, Illinois
View a Vision & Values Examples Slideshow.